Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving: A Time to Be Thankful, Even in the NICU

As promised, a link to the new article from the Type A Mom site, on Giving Thanks Even when Thanksgiving is in the NICU.

In the article you will find a number of ways that generous people are helping NICU parents to be able to give thanks, even in the NICU. I've shared a couple already in previous posts this week.

Some of my favorites are the creative ways that people are helping NICU Parents to cope.

Earlier this month, The Preemie Clothes Guide posted Patterns and Ideas for Thanksgiving Preemie Blankets with links to different blanket patterns plus with suggestions for ways to modify the patterns to create special Thanksgiving preemie blankets.

Respiratory Therapist, Glenna Muse post of the 2009 Official Thanksgiving Turkey Hat was my inspiration to find the many ways that people are helping NICU parents to give thanks. She knits out of love for these little babies and shares why she is Thankful this Thanksgiving.
Those babies and these hats make me joyous. It's that simple. Every time I hold a three pound baby and every time I plop one of my silly little hats onto one of those tiny little heads I see God in their eyes and for those moments I am a mountain of faith that the world is a wondrous place and we are blessed to be here, all connected as one big family on Earth.

On this Thanksgiving I am thankful for all of our little miracles and that I am so lucky to play a part, through respiratory therapy and by knitting hats, in their first days in this life.
I will be posting a blog next year about Glenna Muse's efforts on Knitting in the NICU.



A related article is on the Type-A Mom site under the NICU section of Mom Stages.


More

Dyer KA. 2009. Giving Thanks Even when Thanksgiving is in the NICU. Type A Mom.
Dyer KA. 2009. Encouraging Message: The Full, True Thanksgiving Comes from the Heart. NICU Parent Support Blog.
Dyer KA. 2009. Being Thankful at Thanksgiving in the NICU. NICU Parent Support Blog.


Image: Glenna Muse. 2009 Official NICU Thanksgiving Mascot Turkey Hat. Used with Permission.

1 comment:

Glenna said...

Thanks for including me! I am passionate about respiratory therapy in general and our mini-babies in particular. The hats are a small way I can help keep their awesome little noggins snug when I'm not on duty and who said hats have to be boring? The NICU is a celebration of life and, heh, it's their first holidays! We definitely have to celebrate THAT!